445 people attended Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ's 21st Annual Gathering & Convention, held October 3-6, 2021 at Upper Arlington Lutheran Church in Hilliard, OH.
The total number of in-person attendees included 280 voting delegates, 76 members, all eight board of trustees members, and five members of the LCMC staff.
"Speak It, Live It, Share It" was the theme for the event, which focused on exploring some practical ways in which the Gospel can be spoken, lived, and shared in one's everyday life.
Programming began on Sunday evening with an opening worship service preached by Steve Turnbull, the senior pastor of Upper Arlington Lutheran Church, along with Katie Borden serving as this year’s worship leader.
Morning Bible study was led by Erik Anderson, the discipleship pastor at New Life Lutheran Church.
Pastors Jeremey King of Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church and Nathan Hoff of Trinity Lutheran Church keynoted the event on Monday morning.
Mike Bradley presented his service coordinator's report on Monday afternoon, which was followed by the first of three breakout sessions.
As programming wrapped up for the evening, attendees had the opportunity to attend a fellowship dinner or get connected with one the various districts and fellowships in LCMC.
Tuesday morning's programming featured keynote speaker Jenn Alexander, the worship and speaking pastor at Hosanna Church, followed by a panel discussion on ministry featuring LCMC Coordinator for Districts and Fellowships Julie Smith, Upper Arlington Lutheran Church’s Director of Children’s Ministry Andrea Taphorn, and Trinity Lutheran Church Pastor Nathan Hoff.
Perry Fruhling, the LCMC coordinator for pastoral ministry, recognized and prayed for the pastors, seminarians, and congregations in LCMC on Tuesday afternoon.
During the business session, Jeremey King (Area 1), Jonathan Anderson (Area 2), Susan Gunderson (Area 4), Jason Eliot (Area 7), and Cindy Glessner (At Large) were elected to serve on the LCMC Board of Trustees.
The current board members are:
- Jonathan Anderson (Area 2) – Secretary
- Jason Eliot (Area 7)
- Randy Freund (Area 3) – Chair
- Cindy Glessner (At Large) – Treasurer
- Susan Gunderson (Area 4) – Vice Chair
- Jeremey King (Area 1)
- Brodie Taphorn (Area 5)
- Darrin Vick (Area 6)
The event wrapped up on Wednesday morning with a keynote presentation by LCMC Service Coordinator Mike Bradley, followed by a closing worship service preached by Gabrielle Arland, the student ministry director at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church.
The association’s next Annual Gathering & Convention will take place October 2-5, 2022 at Hosanna Church in Lakeville, MN.
The following upcoming events were also announced:
- Youth Leadership Webinars: ongoing monthly, online via Zoom [More Info...]
- 10th Annual Three Days of Prayer: July 4-6, 2022 in your congregation [More Info...]
- National Youth Event: July 19-22, 2022 at Grand View University (Des Moines, IA) [More Info...]
- District and Fellowship Leaders Retreat: June 14-16, at Hosanna! Lutheran Church in St. Charles, IL [More Info...]
Those who participated in this year’s Annual Gathering are invited and encouraged to share their thoughts by completing our evaluation form. All responses received by the October 22 deadline date will be reviewed by the staff and board of trustees in upcoming meetings. We appreciate your feedback!
Annual Gathering Media
- VIDEOS: The LCMC staff plans to update the LCMC website (go to Events > Media > Videos & Podcasts) and mobile app with edited videos of this year’s Annual Gathering & Convention speakers by winter 2022. If you would like to be notified when new videos become available, please be sure you’re subscribed to our monthly e-newsletter. A playlist of the livestreams is temporarily available at ualc.org/lcmc2021.
- BOOKS: Downloadable copies of our Annual Gathering book can be found on our website under Events > Media > Annual Gathering Books or by clicking here.
- PHOTOS: For additional photos from the event, be sure to check out our official Facebook page, and search the hashtag #LCMC21AG on social media.
Just for Fun...
We asked those who follow the LCMC Facebook page what they enjoy most about LCMC Annual Gatherings. Here are a few of their responses:
- "Reconnecting with dear friends and colleagues as we share the joys and heartaches of ministry. As Julie said “every pastor needs a pastor” and LCMC Gathering provides that, as we encourage and preach the promise to one another. See y’all in MN next year." – Andrea Paulson
- "The speakers were great. The focus on the Kingdom and as a new person to the LCMC knowing I found a home!" – Mary Arfmann
- "The Gospel! The people and the presence of Christ which is joy! The priority of Bible, the prayers, the humor and deep love of God and each other. Spiritual Direction was a nice touch. Thank you to everyone who put 2021 Annual Gathering together." – Joseph Beal
- "Practical teachings and fellowship with others." – Bryan Anderson
- "I love the speakers, but the fellowship and networking is great. Those are conversations that are invaluable." – Eric Hullstrom
- "Meeting people with similar passions." – Mark Loche
Click Here For Content Archives