Light of the Desert is searching for a dynamic and creative ministry leader who can reach students, young adults, and young families and help them become disciples of Jesus Christ. This is a full-time salaried position. We are committed to reaching new generations in our north Phoenix neighborhood. We are praying for someone who…
- Loves Jesus and loves students and young adults, passionately.
- Is trustworthy—someone in whom others can trust and confide.
- Is very relational and approachable.
- Reads, respects, teaches, and lives by God’s Word.
- Has a strong grace-oriented theology and is compatible with a Lutheran expression.
- Uses prayer constantly and easily for self and others.
- Empowers others by instructing others through discipleship.
- Leads well by words and example and inspires others.
- Connects regularly with people who are not followers of Jesus or church members.
- Understands and supports the mission of Light of the Desert and works strategically to advance the mission
Specifically, the pastoral job description includes the following:
- Join with other staff to disciple and empower junior high students, high school students, young adults, and young families and teach them to disciple others.
- Assist in planning and leading regular weekly worship.
- Assist with other pastor activities such as visitation, teaching/preaching, counseling, praying, and wider community involvement.
- Find creative ways to build relationships with all people. This includes Light of the Desert students, young adults, and young families, as well as, students from our area schools and the wider community. Examples could include fun events, school activities, mission trips, concerts, one on one discipleship, service projects, camps, retreats and other opportunities for gathering and mentoring students and young adults.
- Build and train a group of adult leaders who will pray for and support the ministries with student and young adults.
- Participate in leadership huddles, and other key leadership meetings with our Director of Worship, part-time Director of Special Music, part-time Director of Children’s Ministries, and part-time Administrative Assistant.
- Network with other area leaders for effective outreach.
- Participate in regular continuing education and life-long learning.
- Maintain positive and open communication with parents, church members, and leaders.
- Responsible for, developing and monitoring annual budgets and specific events to support ministry activities.